Friday, January 24, 2014

Hey, I Had a Blog!

Well, I went to read a blog today in Blogger and, low and behold, I apparently STILL have the blog I started as a scholarship entry for grad school back in, oh, 2010.

...It is 2014...for 24 whole days now!

Needless to say, today I deleted the one-and-only post as it was TERRIBLE.  It reeked of "college senior English major burned out on school, writing, scholarship entries, and life."  (It also reeked of "I THINK I want a Masters in Library Science but all the doors are closing and I have no idea which one will open so I will ramble here until you throw money at me KTHNXBAI.")  That's not what I want to be my blogging legacy (if such things even exist) in this world.  So, it's gone.

Instead of ending the blog, however, I decided to re-purpose it.  Rename it, redesign it, and play around to see if I really want to get into this whole "blogging" thing.  I have many blogs I read that I love, and they always inspire my creative side to write more, to get my voice out and share it with others.  It will take some time, though, to figure out what that is.

I'm up for the journey.

So, for starters, my name is Cherish: hence the "pun-y" title to this blog.  I'm a newlywed as of December 28, 2013; my husband is a PR guy for a local university.  In my free time, I knit, crochet, write, draw, and play clarinet when I can.  That free time is sorely limited, however: I'm also a 25-year-old teacher at a non-profit in Western New York.

What makes me unique as a teacher is that I'm what's called an "adult classroom instructor."  My non-profit in concerned with family literacy, and I work in their adult program.  My role in the non-profit is to teach adults to read as well as to sharpen their reading skills so they can better themselves (through HSEs [High School Equivalency diplomas, for all you non-New Yorkers], obtaining jobs, or improving their work outlook), their families (through the empowerment of knowing they can help their students learn as they can read better as well as through the economic boost of such knowledge), and the community.

Yes, you read that right: I teach adults to read.  And write, on occasion, but that mostly happens at the jail.

...oh, that too: I teach two mornings a week at our local jail until July.  Many teachers equate their classrooms to jails at times: my classroom really is one a few times a week.

Despite the challenges you can imagine crop up in my job, I love it.  I love the creativity it takes to create lessons that engage, encourage, and strengthen my students.  I love the environment of adult education and the HUGE changes I see happen with my students.  I adore knowing that I work with students many, many other people, educational systems, and communities have written off as "lost causes" and "worthless drains on society."  I never see them that way: I see the potential that lies there, even when they fail to see it themselves.  And I adore knowing that my attempts to teach them often go beyond the classroom, helping them better others.

So, welcome to this teacher's personal blog.  Let's see where it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment