Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Yarn Along #4: Attack of the Minion

I'm not even going to pretend things have calmed down out our way.  It seems like as soon as one mini-crisis ends, another two pop up.  Right now, we're just trying to keep on top of a sick in-law of mine, balance work and our lives, and figure out who tried to steal my identity locally last week.  >_<  Here's praying that next week is calmer!


This time I have A FINISHED PRODUCT!  And a finished book!  That is scary stuff right there!

THE CRAFT: In the past two weeks, I blasted out a little project for a sick little boy.  (I also found our digital camera, so we have half decent pictures!)  It's a little Despicable Me Minion.

*singing* These arms are made for cuddling!
This project was a bit of a comedy of errors for me.  The arms I redid no less than 4 times last night, mostly as I 1) Lost count on the hands, 2) Couldn't find the saved inside loops to start the arms, or 3) I forgot to increase all the way around when starting the arms.  It was, to say the least, an embarrassing sight to behold: a beleaguered, veteran crocheter mad over twelve rounds of yellow yarn done twice.  We could have hired mourners.

Well, at least he gives me two thumbs up!

I also took what I called (at first) The Lazy Route as I chose to only make one eye.  This involved modifying the pattern for both the eye and the goggle rims, both of which turned out to be a bit more complicated than I thought.  For starters, I could not for the life of me close the center of the eye's magic loop without risking a yarn tear.  To compensate, I tried to put black felt on the center to make a pupil like the pattern said.  No dice: it looked funny sitting on top, but sewing it into the center of the eye just didn't pop the way I wanted.

My felt-work for the details also finally improved!

A moment of inspiration hit when I went to get my straight pins to assemble this little guy.  Inside my pin case was a random round, black button I had left over from a Pikachu plushie I crocheted a few years ago.  On a whim, I tried pinning that button into the center of the eye.  It was a perfect fit!  The base of the button fit perfectly into the eye's hole, and the button gave the eye the pop I was looking for.  I'm pretty sure I literally cheered.

Little Minion sees all!
Despite a few moment of wanting to fling this minion across the room in frustration (and a surely amusing scene while I tried to whip-stitch a "pouty lip" onto what looked like a yellow hotdog with an eyeball), it all worked out in the end: he turned out better than I expected and on time to be sent in the care package!  Feel better soon, Brett, and I hope this little guy is a bright spot in your days in the hospital!

THE BOOK: A month later, and I'm still on The 19th Wife.  I did, however, finish another audio book during that time: Shanghai Girls by Lisa See.  The book followed two fictional sisters in China for twenty years of their lives as they fled China, were forced into arranged marriages, raise a daughter, and learned about themselves and their relationships.  The book wonderfully illustrated the relationship siblings have, both the positives and the negatives.  I'm the middle of 5 kids, though my two older siblings are much, much older than me; as a result, I grew up like an oldest child.  I very much related with Pearl's struggles to be the kind of older sister May both wanted and needed, and I also sympathized and mourned for Pearl when she learned how those things can sometimes be total opposites.

Check out the other Yarn Along pages!


2 comments:

  1. Ah!! Your minion is so cute!!! I do only the most basic crochet, but when I see little dolls like this it makes me want to get better at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a firm believer that anyone who can do a basic single crochet, learn the magic loop technique for crochet, and read a pattern can do a doll at some point. It just takes patience as it is slow, methodical going. The pattern is linked up above to my Ravelry project page if you'd like to give it a shot!

      Also, I absolutely swear by wolfdreamer-otc.blogspot.com for her doll patterns. The woman has a magic touch for recreating cartoon characters into yarn, and her patterns are written in a very easy-to-understand way. Plus, she's absolutely fabulous to work with when you have questions or need tips. She even has some tutorials on her page!

      Good luck! (I wish I could knit half as well as you--I JUST worked up the courage to graduate from scarves to a shirt, and even that scares me to pieces.)

      Delete